Our Clubs History
The Ford Motor Company commenced manufacturing cars in Detroit in 1903. New Zealand’s first Ford arrived in 1904. In 1912 there were 2,340 cars imported into New Zealand and 982 of those were Fords. Local assembly commenced in 1920 and from then all Fords were imported as CKD (completely knocked down) kitsets. The Model A was introduced in New Zealand in May 1928 and assembly was carried out in Auckland, Wellington and Timaru. New car registrations in 1930 totalled 15,067 and 5,328 were Model A Fords.
The first Model A Ford club in New Zealand was founded in December 1965 when a small group of Canterbury Vintage Car Club members joined the Model A Ford Club of America and formed its first overseas chapter, the Canterbury NZ Chapter, also known as the Canterbury Model A Club. This club has a current membership of about ninety.
Still to be completed........
© Copyright 2023 Model A Ford Club (Canterbury NZ Chapter)